In this first stage, the catalogue focuses on the modern and contemporary architecture designed and built between 1832 –year of construction of the first industrial chimney in Barcelona that we establish as the beginning of modernity– until today.
The project is born to make the architecture more accessible both to professionals and to the citizens through a website that is going to be updated and extended. Contemporary works of greater general interest will be incorporated, always with a necessary historical perspective, while gradually adding works from our past, with the ambitious objective of understanding a greater documented period.
The collection feeds from multiple sources, mainly from the generosity of architectural and photographic studios, as well as the large amount of excellent historical and reference editorial projects, such as architectural guides, magazines, monographs and other publications. It also takes into consideration all the reference sources from the various branches and associated entities with the COAC and other collaborating entities related to the architectural and design fields, in its maximum spectrum.
Special mention should be made of the incorporation of vast documentation from the COAC Historical Archive which, thanks to its documental richness, provides a large amount of valuable –and in some cases unpublished– graphic documentation.
The rigour and criteria for selection of the works has been stablished by a Documental Commission, formed by the COAC’s Culture Spokesperson, the director of the COAC Historical Archive, the directors of the COAC Digital Archive, and professionals and other external experts from all the territorial sections that look after to offer a transversal view of the current and past architectural landscape around the territory.
The determination of this project is to become the largest digital collection about Catalan architecture; a key tool of exemplar information and documentation about architecture, which turns into a local and international referent, for the way to explain and show the architectural heritage of a territory.
We kindly invite you to help us improve the dissemination of Catalan architecture through this space. Here you can propose works and provide or amend information on authors, photographers and their work, along with adding comments. The Documentary Commission will analyze all data. Please do only fill in the fields you deem necessary to add or amend the information.
The Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya is one of the most important documentation centers in Europe, which houses the professional collections of more than 180 architects whose work is fundamental to understanding the history of Catalan architecture. By filling this form, you can request digital copies of the documents for which the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya manages the exploitation of the author's rights, as well as those in the public domain. Once the application has been made, the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya will send you an approximate budget, which varies in terms of each use and purpose.
The Cooperative Winery of Moja is located on the outskirts of Moja, on the road that goes up to the Olèrdola castle. It consists of two transversal and a perpendicular nave, connected by brick atriums. This last nave is covered with a two-sided roof on wooden trusses that support the side walls. Of the two transversal industrial units, the one which is further away, destined for the unloading dock and the pressing room, is covered with a roof on one side, inclined towards the neighbouring unit, on wooden beams and tins and a tiled floor. The other transversal one is also covered with a gable roof on wooden trusses that rest on very low arches on pillars of cruciform section; the arches and pillars are made of brick.
On the outside, the two primitive units are made of irregular stone with exposed brick openings; the two access doors to the unit covered on two sides are protected by a double canopy. In the space where the main ship that was to house the vats was supposed to go, only some were installed underground, separated by a central corridor made with parabolic arches. The walls of the main unit (built later) have an irregular stone plinth, with floor-level ventilation windows, and the rest of the walls are plastered; the seven vertical windows of the main façade (which are repeated in the main of the primitive units), the lowered arched door with a canopy with a flat brick vault at the top and the powerful cornice of the gable roof stand out; the south side façade has a series of three-pierced windows.
Above the main door there is a white ceramic panel with a dark blue frame with the inscription ‘Sindicat Agrícola de Moja’, in red and blue letters. At the top of the façade, another sign bears the date 1921.
On January 1, 1921, the Agricultural Union of Moja was founded, promoted by the village master, Alejo Bertran, the Union of Vintners of Catalonia and the technicians of the Wine Station of Vilafranca del Penedès, and by Josep Mestre Comas, who was its first president. It was made up of peasants and some average owners. In Moja there was also the Union of Farmers of Sant Jaume de Moja. On February 19 of the same year, the viticulture section was instituted, some land was bought to build the winery and Cèsar Martinell was entrusted with the project; the contractor was Pau Llopart, from Moja.
The initial project provided for two parallel ships in a north-south direction, and two ships perpendicular to the first in a west-east direction; of these, however, only one was built, the façade of which is the main one, facing the old town.
Due to economic problems, at first only the two transversal units were built in a north-south direction and the underground vats of the west-east perpendicular ship. In 1929, this area was not yet finished. In 1930, a fence was built around the unloading dock. Four underground vats were built in one of the transversal units, and more vats were added to the basement of the perpendicular one; between 1953 and 1959, surface tubs were added; in 1983, tubs were installed on the surface where the second perpendicular unit had to go.