In this first stage, the catalogue focuses on the modern and contemporary architecture designed and built between 1832 –year of construction of the first industrial chimney in Barcelona that we establish as the beginning of modernity– until today.
The project is born to make the architecture more accessible both to professionals and to the citizens through a website that is going to be updated and extended. Contemporary works of greater general interest will be incorporated, always with a necessary historical perspective, while gradually adding works from our past, with the ambitious objective of understanding a greater documented period.
The collection feeds from multiple sources, mainly from the generosity of architectural and photographic studios, as well as the large amount of excellent historical and reference editorial projects, such as architectural guides, magazines, monographs and other publications. It also takes into consideration all the reference sources from the various branches and associated entities with the COAC and other collaborating entities related to the architectural and design fields, in its maximum spectrum.
Special mention should be made of the incorporation of vast documentation from the COAC Historical Archive which, thanks to its documental richness, provides a large amount of valuable –and in some cases unpublished– graphic documentation.
The rigour and criteria for selection of the works has been stablished by a Documental Commission, formed by the COAC’s Culture Spokesperson, the director of the COAC Historical Archive, the directors of the COAC Digital Archive, and professionals and other external experts from all the territorial sections that look after to offer a transversal view of the current and past architectural landscape around the territory.
The determination of this project is to become the largest digital collection about Catalan architecture; a key tool of exemplar information and documentation about architecture, which turns into a local and international referent, for the way to explain and show the architectural heritage of a territory.
We kindly invite you to help us improve the dissemination of Catalan architecture through this space. Here you can propose works and provide or amend information on authors, photographers and their work, along with adding comments. The Documentary Commission will analyze all data. Please do only fill in the fields you deem necessary to add or amend the information.
The Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya is one of the most important documentation centers in Europe, which houses the professional collections of more than 180 architects whose work is fundamental to understanding the history of Catalan architecture. By filling this form, you can request digital copies of the documents for which the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya manages the exploitation of the author's rights, as well as those in the public domain. Once the application has been made, the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya will send you an approximate budget, which varies in terms of each use and purpose.
Building of a single nave with transept and pentagonal apse. The roof has two parts: the part of the nave and the cross is double-sided, one longitudinally and the other transversely, and the apse has five sides that converge at a single point. The façade is framed by a kind of pilasters that end in blind arches. In the centre there is a large, pointed arch and inside there is the door and three-pointed arch windows. On either side are two round-arched windows. The gable is a large parabolic arch topped by a stone cross. On the right, above the cross, there is the bell tower with three semicircular arched openings. In the cross and in the centre of the apse, large, pointed arch windows open.
The hermitage is part of a neighbourhood of farmhouses towards the southern slope of the new pine hill. There is evidence of the existence of a hermitage in this place since 1226, possibly founded by the lords of the castle of Cànoves.
The current building was erected again in 1930 under the direction of the architect Josep M. Pericas. It follows a neo-Gothic style with some Romanesque elements.
This hermitage that dominates Cànoves from the height of the mountain is a building with a single nave with a cross, configuring a plan in the shape of a Greek cross. The roof is complex and has a form composed of a double-sided roof in the nave segment and the cross. At the back of the temple a pentagonal apse can be seen, conjuring this five-sided shape with the resulting five-sided roof. The façade is framed by two pilasters crowned with blind arches and has a kind of parabolic acroterium at the top, topped with a cross. And continuing with the elongated shape of the façade we find three pointed arched windows in the middle of the façade. A bell tower with three semicircular arched openings, moved to one side, is also noteworthy.
Although the temple is unequivocally of new construction, in the same place there had been another hermitage, which we have documentary evidence of (year 1226), as well as with the remains of this hermitage, that can be seen in front of the current one.
In 1930, the old chapel was demolished, and under the orders of the architect Josep Pericas, this new temple was erected, with an undoubted neo-Gothic taste that must be framed in a historicist trend.
In 1930, with the construction of the new temple, a set of tegulae tombs appeared in this place.
The works, which began in 1930, lasted until 1934 when the temple was finally inaugurated.
Its gathering is still held annually, on August 6.
The Gavín Archive has a photograph of the interior of the temple from 1921, a few years before it was demolished to build the new building.