In this first stage, the catalogue focuses on the modern and contemporary architecture designed and built between 1832 –year of construction of the first industrial chimney in Barcelona that we establish as the beginning of modernity– until today.
The project is born to make the architecture more accessible both to professionals and to the citizens through a website that is going to be updated and extended. Contemporary works of greater general interest will be incorporated, always with a necessary historical perspective, while gradually adding works from our past, with the ambitious objective of understanding a greater documented period.
The collection feeds from multiple sources, mainly from the generosity of architectural and photographic studios, as well as the large amount of excellent historical and reference editorial projects, such as architectural guides, magazines, monographs and other publications. It also takes into consideration all the reference sources from the various branches and associated entities with the COAC and other collaborating entities related to the architectural and design fields, in its maximum spectrum.
Special mention should be made of the incorporation of vast documentation from the COAC Historical Archive which, thanks to its documental richness, provides a large amount of valuable –and in some cases unpublished– graphic documentation.
The rigour and criteria for selection of the works has been stablished by a Documental Commission, formed by the COAC’s Culture Spokesperson, the director of the COAC Historical Archive, the directors of the COAC Digital Archive, and professionals and other external experts from all the territorial sections that look after to offer a transversal view of the current and past architectural landscape around the territory.
The determination of this project is to become the largest digital collection about Catalan architecture; a key tool of exemplar information and documentation about architecture, which turns into a local and international referent, for the way to explain and show the architectural heritage of a territory.
We kindly invite you to help us improve the dissemination of Catalan architecture through this space. Here you can propose works and provide or amend information on authors, photographers and their work, along with adding comments. The Documentary Commission will analyze all data. Please do only fill in the fields you deem necessary to add or amend the information.
The Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya is one of the most important documentation centers in Europe, which houses the professional collections of more than 180 architects whose work is fundamental to understanding the history of Catalan architecture. By filling this form, you can request digital copies of the documents for which the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya manages the exploitation of the author's rights, as well as those in the public domain. Once the application has been made, the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya will send you an approximate budget, which varies in terms of each use and purpose.
The building is located in the centre of the town, in the most tertiaryized area. It has a notable architectural and representational value. It is a construction between partitions of Gothic origin, with a ground floor and two floors. It corners with Santa Maria Street.
The main façade is of an academic modernism. The side façade has windows and gargoyles, of a Gothic character. There is an inner courtyard currently covered, with steps and galleries with semicircular arches.
Located on the side façade, between the windows on the upper floor, sculpted in the form of eagles with folded wings and open beaks, through which rainwater flows.
The eagle has a multiple symbology and appears in profusion from the beginning of art to the present day, having an important place in Gothic decoration and iconography.
Paintings from the Sala de Sant Ramon or Sala dels Canaris:
Polychrome and sgraffito painting depicting a bunch of subjects related to Vila and Penedès. Firstly, the Vilafranca market with the farmers at the pottery, poultry and clothing stalls; buyers and shops (patisseries and wineries). Secondly, the field, with the harvest, the harvesters, the vines and the horse-drawn cart, a girl with flowers and fruit, and a reaper taking a nap surrounded by ears of grain. Thirdly, the representation of the town, with walls, surrounded by symbolic elements of the nearest towns: Martorell, Barà, Montserrat. Finally, the compass rose, with a sample of good weather and rain.
Made by Pau Boada i Mercader.
The Casa de la Vila building is of Gothic origin. In the 14th century it was probably Bernat Pellicer's palace, which is mentioned in the chronicles of the chancellery of Jaume II. In 1559 the City Council acquired the building from a certain Pubill Jaunot Caldés, for the price of 280 Barcelona pounds. The first reforms were carried out in 1604, and from that date it has been the subject of several expansion and conditioning works. In 1912, the current façade was built, according to the project of the architect Eugeni Campllonch. In 1965, the side façade was restored, and interesting Gothic elements were discovered (window and arches on the ground floor).