In this first stage, the catalogue focuses on the modern and contemporary architecture designed and built between 1832 –year of construction of the first industrial chimney in Barcelona that we establish as the beginning of modernity– until today.
The project is born to make the architecture more accessible both to professionals and to the citizens through a website that is going to be updated and extended. Contemporary works of greater general interest will be incorporated, always with a necessary historical perspective, while gradually adding works from our past, with the ambitious objective of understanding a greater documented period.
The collection feeds from multiple sources, mainly from the generosity of architectural and photographic studios, as well as the large amount of excellent historical and reference editorial projects, such as architectural guides, magazines, monographs and other publications. It also takes into consideration all the reference sources from the various branches and associated entities with the COAC and other collaborating entities related to the architectural and design fields, in its maximum spectrum.
Special mention should be made of the incorporation of vast documentation from the COAC Historical Archive which, thanks to its documental richness, provides a large amount of valuable –and in some cases unpublished– graphic documentation.
The rigour and criteria for selection of the works has been stablished by a Documental Commission, formed by the COAC’s Culture Spokesperson, the director of the COAC Historical Archive, the directors of the COAC Digital Archive, and professionals and other external experts from all the territorial sections that look after to offer a transversal view of the current and past architectural landscape around the territory.
The determination of this project is to become the largest digital collection about Catalan architecture; a key tool of exemplar information and documentation about architecture, which turns into a local and international referent, for the way to explain and show the architectural heritage of a territory.
We kindly invite you to help us improve the dissemination of Catalan architecture through this space. Here you can propose works and provide or amend information on authors, photographers and their work, along with adding comments. The Documentary Commission will analyze all data. Please do only fill in the fields you deem necessary to add or amend the information.
The Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya is one of the most important documentation centers in Europe, which houses the professional collections of more than 180 architects whose work is fundamental to understanding the history of Catalan architecture. By filling this form, you can request digital copies of the documents for which the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya manages the exploitation of the author's rights, as well as those in the public domain. Once the application has been made, the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya will send you an approximate budget, which varies in terms of each use and purpose.
Built at the end of the 50s, on the same site where the old Liceo cinema was (1914-1956). The building was projected on a rather irregular plot, a consequence of the urban evolution of the place. It is for this reason that the architect opted for a layout based on placing the projection room at full height enveloped by an "L"-shaped volume, where the rest of the elements of the program, such as a bar, meeting rooms, offices, a service area, different warehouses and vertical communications.
This arrangement solved all the requirements in an optimal and elegant way. From fitting a magnificent projection room, with more than 1500 seats distributed between the audience and the floor; by allowing and making the different accesses and circulations within the building compatible, avoiding the conflict between the bar, social centre and the cinema; until managing to generate a perfect acoustic cushion between the screening room and the noisy Sants Streets.
As it could not be otherwise, the result is a complex building with an organic plant resulting from the various interrelationships of the program. What stood out was a 32m long bar, which could be separated with several mobile panels in order to be able to work as a bar and a cinema at the same time.
Unfortunately, and for some years now, little remains of the original project; beyond the façade of abstract composition characteristic of modern language, and the bar that has been cut and modified. The screening room is preserved, although disused and quite battered, without seats and with substantial modifications. The building is currently occupied by a dance school, a gym and an appliance store.
This building is located on a corner plot and the program is divided into two parts: a movie theatre and a centre for social activities for the neighbourhood. Moragas decided to place the cinema in the inner part of the site and fit the social centre into the perimeter of the two façades, occupying a wide L-shaped strip that acts as an acoustic barrier for the cinema.
The access to the building is through a large lobby that is equipped with a 32-metre-long undulating bar counter, one of the longest in Barcelona. The rest of the ground floor and the mezzanine are occupied by bar tables and a billiards room. In section, there are two other floors located above the lobby and below the inclined plane of the amphitheatre that are used for the social activities of the neighbourhood. The first is used as a meeting room and the second contains the offices of various sports entities. On the other hand, the huge stained-glass window on the main façade offers a cinematographic perception of the building's activity from the outside. The colour, the materials, the small projections and the opaque areas help to conceive an abstract composition of the façade.