In this first stage, the catalogue focuses on the modern and contemporary architecture designed and built between 1832 –year of construction of the first industrial chimney in Barcelona that we establish as the beginning of modernity– until today.
The project is born to make the architecture more accessible both to professionals and to the citizens through a website that is going to be updated and extended. Contemporary works of greater general interest will be incorporated, always with a necessary historical perspective, while gradually adding works from our past, with the ambitious objective of understanding a greater documented period.
The collection feeds from multiple sources, mainly from the generosity of architectural and photographic studios, as well as the large amount of excellent historical and reference editorial projects, such as architectural guides, magazines, monographs and other publications. It also takes into consideration all the reference sources from the various branches and associated entities with the COAC and other collaborating entities related to the architectural and design fields, in its maximum spectrum.
Special mention should be made of the incorporation of vast documentation from the COAC Historical Archive which, thanks to its documental richness, provides a large amount of valuable –and in some cases unpublished– graphic documentation.
The rigour and criteria for selection of the works has been stablished by a Documental Commission, formed by the COAC’s Culture Spokesperson, the director of the COAC Historical Archive, the directors of the COAC Digital Archive, and professionals and other external experts from all the territorial sections that look after to offer a transversal view of the current and past architectural landscape around the territory.
The determination of this project is to become the largest digital collection about Catalan architecture; a key tool of exemplar information and documentation about architecture, which turns into a local and international referent, for the way to explain and show the architectural heritage of a territory.
We kindly invite you to help us improve the dissemination of Catalan architecture through this space. Here you can propose works and provide or amend information on authors, photographers and their work, along with adding comments. The Documentary Commission will analyze all data. Please do only fill in the fields you deem necessary to add or amend the information.
The Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya is one of the most important documentation centers in Europe, which houses the professional collections of more than 180 architects whose work is fundamental to understanding the history of Catalan architecture. By filling this form, you can request digital copies of the documents for which the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya manages the exploitation of the author's rights, as well as those in the public domain. Once the application has been made, the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya will send you an approximate budget, which varies in terms of each use and purpose.
In 1907, the Clínic Hospital of Barcelona was inaugurated and, with it, the Faculty of Medicine, belonging to the University of Barcelona.
With this, the old aspirations of abandoning the buildings on the Rambla dels Estudis, which housed the Faculty of Medicine on its return from Bourbon exile, due to the New Plant decree of 1716, were satisfied.
The evolution of medical studies, and specifically the qualitative leap that the 1983 law meant, required an adaptation to the new demands. The main characteristic of this transformation was to create departments dedicated to research and promoting knowledge, the basis of modern universities.
To some extent, these transformations have been possible thanks to the quality of the spaces, the formalisation responds to criteria of functional neutrality, which makes the transition from classrooms to laboratories very simple, although these require complex and very specific equipment. The classic outline of the modeling repertoire, in the strictest Beauxartian tradition, has been respected and even improved in some points. It must be emphasised that the grandeur of the common spaces, of a certainly attractive and ritualistic dimension, of something that exceeds the strict necessity, such as the main staircase, the great hall, the cloister or the distribution corridors, imprint a clarity and architectural grandeur that deserved to be preserved.
The spatial requirements have forced us to incorporate the basement floor and the floor under the roof, apart from the increase represented by the partition of the classrooms, by means of an intermediate slab.
The cores of stairs located on the sides have been relocated centrally in a space where we believe they should have been. In these points, our proposal improves the typological organisation of the classic plan. This staircase gives way to the original and the new floors, introduced through the floor slab partition of levels one and three.
The way these new plants reach the façade, in order to avoid the solution of splitting the window in two, led us to make the new level depend on the old one, as if it were a duplex. Therefore, we have built interior stairs arranged parallel to the façade that resolve the vertical connections following a typological rather than a functional order.
The façades are composed of windows with stone lintels and jambs, arranged in an orderly manner on a stucco base, which is why its rehabilitation was of special interest.
The quality of the stone is not up to the packaging that was intended to be given to the building. It is a stone that has not completed the geological period of formation that corresponded to it, therefore, as easy to work with as it is quick to decompose, especially in the parts most exposed to inclement weather.
Once the stones have been cleaned, the shape they had has been recovered, but only as a base to support a sheet of zinc, so that a more complex calligraphy than the original has been incorporated and which gives lightness to a more massive than Doric composition.