In this first stage, the catalogue focuses on the modern and contemporary architecture designed and built between 1832 –year of construction of the first industrial chimney in Barcelona that we establish as the beginning of modernity– until today.

The project is born to make the architecture more accessible both to professionals and to the citizens through a website that is going to be updated and extended. Contemporary works of greater general interest will be incorporated, always with a necessary historical perspective, while gradually adding works from our past, with the ambitious objective of understanding a greater documented period.

The collection feeds from multiple sources, mainly from the generosity of architectural and photographic studios, as well as the large amount of excellent historical and reference editorial projects, such as architectural guides, magazines, monographs and other publications. It also takes into consideration all the reference sources from the various branches and associated entities with the COAC and other collaborating entities related to the architectural and design fields, in its maximum spectrum.

Special mention should be made of the incorporation of vast documentation from the COAC Historical Archive which, thanks to its documental richness, provides a large amount of valuable –and in some cases unpublished– graphic documentation.

The rigour and criteria for selection of the works has been stablished by a Documental Commission, formed by the COAC’s Culture Spokesperson, the director of the COAC Historical Archive, the directors of the COAC Digital Archive, and professionals and other external experts from all the territorial sections that look after to offer a transversal view of the current and past architectural landscape around the territory.

The determination of this project is to become the largest digital collection about Catalan architecture; a key tool of exemplar information and documentation about architecture, which turns into a local and international referent, for the way to explain and show the architectural heritage of a territory.

Aureli Mora i Omar Ornaque


About us

Project by:

Created by:


2019-2023 Aureli Mora i Omar Ornaque

Documental Commission:

2019-2023 Ramon Faura Carolina B. Garcia Francesc Rafat Antoni López Daufí Joan Falgueras Anton Pàmies Mercè Bosch Josep Ferrando Fernando Marzá Aureli Mora Omar Ornaque

External Collaborators:

2019-2023 Lluis Andreu Sergi Ballester Helena Cepeda Inès Martinel Maria Jesús Quintero

With the support of:

Generalitat de Catalunya. Departament de Cultura

Collaborating Entities:



Fundació Mies van der Rohe


Fundación DOCOMOMO Ibérico


Arxiu Mas


Basílica de la Sagrada Família


Museu del Disseny de Barcelona


EINA Centre Universitari de Disseny i Art de Barcelona

Design & Development:

edittio Nubilum

Suggestion box

Request the image

We kindly invite you to help us improve the dissemination of Catalan architecture through this space. Here you can propose works and provide or amend information on authors, photographers and their work, along with adding comments. The Documentary Commission will analyze all data. Please do only fill in the fields you deem necessary to add or amend the information.

The Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya is one of the most important documentation centers in Europe, which houses the professional collections of more than 180 architects whose work is fundamental to understanding the history of Catalan architecture. By filling this form, you can request digital copies of the documents for which the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya manages the exploitation of the author's rights, as well as those in the public domain. Once the application has been made, the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya will send you an approximate budget, which varies in terms of each use and purpose.

Image requested:

* If the memory has known authorship or rights, cite them in the field above 'Comments' .

Remove * If the photographs has known authorship or rights, cite them in the field above 'Comments'.
You can attach up to 5 files of up to 10 MB each.

How to get there

In Pictures


The Maricel complex is made up of several buildings arranged on both sides of Fonollar Street and joined by a bridge. They are two large blocks known as Maricel de Mar and Maricel de Terra, and they were built with artistic elements from various periods and styles.

Maricel de Mar is built on the rocks.

The tower facing the bastion is a remarkable element. It has battlements, semi-circular arch access door, cone-shaped window and the image of the Archangel Saint Michael. Maricel de Terra is made up of a set of buildings with an irregular layout that are located between Fonollar, Sant Joan and La Davallada Streets. In this sector it is necessary to mention the "Recó de la Calma", with the access door and the capitals.

The capitals, made by the sculptor Pere Jou, form a series of fifty with varied themes: fables, characters from the beginning of the 20th century, traditions, etc.

In 1910, Charles Deering acquired the building of the old hospital of Saint John the Baptist, which had been built in the 14th century and enlarged in the 19th century with the aim of transforming it, along with other buildings, into a residence-museum. Miquel Utrillo oversaw the works, as well as being the administrator. The building was built with architectural elements from various origins and periods and already in 1913 contained important artistic pieces. On 18-10-1915 the Great Hall was inaugurated. In 1921, Charles Deering left for the United States with a large part of Maricel's works, which remained empty for many years. In 1932, the Board of Museums of Barcelona decided to reuse Maricel as a museum, which was inaugurated on 14-6-1936. The building is currently owned by the City Council and the County Council and is mainly dedicated to artistic and cultural activities.


In 1915 the Barcelona sculptor Pere Jou arrived in Sitges called by Miquel Utrillo with the purpose of decorating the Maricel buildings with a set of about fifty capitals. The artist completed the commission and subsequently settled permanently in the town.

At present, the capitals, some of which had been badly damaged, are in the process of restoration.

Source: Inventari del Patrimoni Arquitectònic de Catalunya (IPAC)


How to get there

On the Map