In this first stage, the catalogue focuses on the modern and contemporary architecture designed and built between 1832 –year of construction of the first industrial chimney in Barcelona that we establish as the beginning of modernity– until today.
The project is born to make the architecture more accessible both to professionals and to the citizens through a website that is going to be updated and extended. Contemporary works of greater general interest will be incorporated, always with a necessary historical perspective, while gradually adding works from our past, with the ambitious objective of understanding a greater documented period.
The collection feeds from multiple sources, mainly from the generosity of architectural and photographic studios, as well as the large amount of excellent historical and reference editorial projects, such as architectural guides, magazines, monographs and other publications. It also takes into consideration all the reference sources from the various branches and associated entities with the COAC and other collaborating entities related to the architectural and design fields, in its maximum spectrum.
Special mention should be made of the incorporation of vast documentation from the COAC Historical Archive which, thanks to its documental richness, provides a large amount of valuable –and in some cases unpublished– graphic documentation.
The rigour and criteria for selection of the works has been stablished by a Documental Commission, formed by the COAC’s Culture Spokesperson, the director of the COAC Historical Archive, the directors of the COAC Digital Archive, and professionals and other external experts from all the territorial sections that look after to offer a transversal view of the current and past architectural landscape around the territory.
The determination of this project is to become the largest digital collection about Catalan architecture; a key tool of exemplar information and documentation about architecture, which turns into a local and international referent, for the way to explain and show the architectural heritage of a territory.
We kindly invite you to help us improve the dissemination of Catalan architecture through this space. Here you can propose works and provide or amend information on authors, photographers and their work, along with adding comments. The Documentary Commission will analyze all data. Please do only fill in the fields you deem necessary to add or amend the information.
The Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya is one of the most important documentation centers in Europe, which houses the professional collections of more than 180 architects whose work is fundamental to understanding the history of Catalan architecture. By filling this form, you can request digital copies of the documents for which the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya manages the exploitation of the author's rights, as well as those in the public domain. Once the application has been made, the Arxiu Històric del Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya will send you an approximate budget, which varies in terms of each use and purpose.
Tower located in the neighbourhood of Sarrià, next to Plaça de Borràs, between Via Augusta and Ronda de Dalt. It has a quadrangular plan, with a ground floor, a floor, and an attic, with an attached rectangular tower that has one more floor. On the main façade, taking up the central space of the ground floor, there is a polygonal tribune that protrudes as if it were an added body; in this tribune large rectangular windows open and are framed by stepped mouldings, above which there are large sculptural reliefs, and the body is crowned by a large molding that imitates the shapes of a capital. The rest of the openings on this floor are similar, decorated with stepped moulding. On the first floor there is a balcony with a stone base and iron railing, a large window in the centre with three sculptural reliefs above, and another rectangular window on the other side. In the main body, this level is topped off by a moulding that imitates a classical capital supported by pilasters that follow the wall; this same decoration is found in the tower but one floor higher. The attic openings are two portholes and a quadrangular window, while in the tower there is a slightly larger window. The main body is topped by a large cornice in the shape of a capital. Two small square windows open on the top floor of the tower and the upper finish is similar to that of the main body. All openings, including portholes, are framed by a stepped moulding.
The sculptural reliefs on the façade and a sculpture of a Venus in the Garden are the work of Rafael Solanic. On the ground floor, in the tribune, there is a music hall with a dome decorated with paintings by Francesc d’Assís Galí, with allegories of child musicians and goddesses.
This house was built to be the residence of Ramon Puig i Gairalt and his brother Antoni, also an architect.
The works, started in 1925, continued until the Civil War and the death of the architect in 1937, leaving the tower unfinished, which was completed later.